6th class pupils Newtown NS – An Unfortunate Turn of Events

An Unfortunate Turn of Events

By 6th class pupils Adam Johnston, Rachel Kelly, Natalie Moran, Simon Quinn, Shakira Ward and Shane Loftus.

It was a bright sunny day when Paul and I decided to go to Florida. We booked a first class seat each on an American Airlines plane, but they didn’t have any spare seats on that plane so we had to go on a Cessna.
The pilot was a small man with a long handlebar moustache. He introduced himself as Esteban. We were told that the flight would take six hours. The plane had a lot of spare socks and empty water bottles lying around. It stank of foot odour.
About six hours into the flight, we realised that the pilot was very shaky and quite sweaty while flying. We wondered if maybe he wasn’t really a pilot.

Esteban told us that we were nearly at our destination, when we suddenly saw a huge hurricane through the cock-pit window of the plane. Esteban screamed like a little girl and jumped out of the plane. We then saw that he had a parachute on. As soon as he activated the parachute, he disappeared into the distance. I took the wheel and tried to turn around wildly. Although my efforts were great, we were sucked into the hurricane.
“Where are we?” asked Paul in a shaky voice.
“I don’t know.” I replied as I looked around.
I could barely make out large trees covered with vines all around us. I soon saw that our plane had ripped right through the thick, dark leaved canopy.
“We better find shelter.” I suggested.
“I just want to go home…” cried Paul.
“Alright, we will take shelter in the plane. Maybe it has some sort of distress signal.” I said.
“Ok…” said Paul, still a bit teary eyed.
We walked over to the plane. I gave Paul a boost up. He screamed in terror.
“What is it?” I yelled.
“S-S-SNAKES!” he screamed.
“Keep it down!” I whispered. “If there are any predators around they might be attracted to our cries.” I explained.
“O-ok.” whispered Paul, his voice very shaky.
As we wandered aimlessly through the jungle, we started hearing noises. Suddenly, a pack of large boars jumped out of the bushes. They snorted and squealed at us. I looked around. There were a few sticks on the ground. I picked one up and swung it at the boars. They all began to grind their hooves along the ground, propelling a lot of dust into the air.
“RUN!” I yelled.
We made for the bushes. We ran as fast as we could but the boars were gaining on us. We both eventually ran out of breath. We turned and began to flail our arms and legs wildly. They suddenly squealed then ran away.
“You see that? They were totally freaked out by us.” exclaimed Paul proudly.
We both heard a roar come from behind us. We turned slowly. There was a huge tiger standing there behind us.

“Back away slowly… don’t break eye contact…” I said as we slowly backed away, making sure not to break eye contact. The tiger roared then ran off into the distance. We brushed it off as nothing and then walked away.
As we went deeper and deeper into the jungle we came across more and more flies. They seemed to be swarming around us. We never gave the swarm a chance to get very big though. As soon as more than ten flies appeared we swatted them away.
We soon heard the chatter of monkeys get louder and louder. On the odd occasion we would see a monkey or two climbing through the trees like ninjas. We eventually came to a mountainous clearing. There was a large rock on the mountain. A majestic eagle sat atop the rock. As soon as it saw us it began to soar. We soon went away from the eagle.
What we found next was horrifying. We found a large ravine filled with gigantic snakes. Some were spotted, some striped. One looked to be the size where it could easily devour ten human adults. As we went around the ravine a few of the snakes attempted to jump up and gobble us. We sprinted away as fast as our feet could carry us.
Soon the undergrowth got thicker and thicker, but we trudged onwards. Paul and I soon began to chat about what we were going to do when we got home, when we both fell flat on our faces. We hadn’t noticed a low hanging branch which had tripped us. We both got up to see the same tiger that saved us earlier. It let out a roar as it began to lurch towards us. We turned to try and run, but to our dismay we saw another tiger. We both closed our eyes, knowing that there was no hope for us. Paul opened his eyes and said
“Look! A river!” as he pointed at a large river to our right.
We both sprinted over to it. We saw a hollowed out tree trunk lying on the river bank. We hopped in, and using some oars which were inside, we pushed ourselves into the water. We soon realised that facing the tigers would have been easier than this as we were propelled at extremely high speeds down the river. We soon hit a bend. The boat went flying onto the river bank.

“We’re alive! We’re alive!” we both shouted.
We were soon dry due to the high temperature. After about thirty minutes of walking, we were muddy and sweaty, though.
I stared up at the dense canopy. I wondered if I could get on top of it to get a better view.

“Help me up.” I said.
Paul managed to boost me up into the tree. When I reached the top of the canopy I saw that the jungle seemed to extend infinitely. As we ventured deeper and deeper into the jungle, we started hearing whistling and screeching. This chatter soon dissipated. We watched teeming beetles crawl along the undergrowth as we rested beneath the large trees.

“Are we going to get out of here?” asked Paul.
I remained silent. We trudged along and soon found a nice little clearing. We rested there. I looked up, and I could see smoke a little off in the distance. I turned towards Paul, who was staring at the smoke. Then he looked and me, and I nodded. We began to walk towards the smoke, hoping there’d be someone there that could help us, or at least tell us where we were.
We heard chanting. There was definitely more than one person there. Someone was playing drums. As we got closer, the sounds got louder, but we couldn’t make out what they were saying. It didn’t seem like they were speaking in English. If they didn’t speak English, then we might not find out where we are, or how to leave.
We pushed some bushes out of our way, and we came to a clearing. There were people in strange clothes dancing around a fire. They had tribal markings on their faces and arms. When the people noticed us, they didn’t seem too pleased. One of them shouted something, but we didn’t know what, because we couldn’t understand him.
The must have been natives to the island. Unfortunately, they weren’t very friendly. They began to surround us, and we stood back to back, not knowing what to do, or what they wanted. They had spears in their hands, and angry looks on their faces.
“What do we do?” Paul whispered, sounding terrified.
“I don’t know. Maybe if we try to tell them that we just want to leave, they’ll leave us alone.” I replied.
Paul took a step forward, and tried to explain our situation, but it fell on deaf ears. They couldn’t speak any English, and it looked like Paul’s attempt had only made them angrier. They threw nets over us, and dragged us to their tribal leader. At least, I was guessing that he was their leader, because he was sitting in a chair that looked like a throne, and had an odd looking crown on his head. There was a lion skin cloak around his shoulders and he held a staff in his right hand.
They were talking for a minute, before everyone began to argue, by the looks of it. They were probably arguing over what to do with us, seeing as they kept gesturing to us. We couldn’t do anything, and we were too scared to even speak. We couldn’t move either, because we were in these nets, which were making me really itchy. If we even tried to move, they might try to use those spears on us.
I heard them say the word ‘Jashin’ a good few times. I didn’t know what that was, or maybe even who it was. Before we could even say anything, they had taken us away. They dragged us along the ground for a while. I could hear a river, and I’m guessing Paul could, too. We could see a cave, and we knew that that was where we were headed.
They left us in the cave, which was a bad idea on their part. They never tied our hands, so I was able to reach through one of the holes in the net and tried to grab a spear that was nearby. I could barely reach it, but I did. I grasped it in my hand and cut the net open.
I crawled out of the net and over to Paul. I cut open his net, and he crawled out, too. We got up and ran, bringing the spear with us, just in case. The cave was beside the river, which had a swift current. There was a boat tied to a tree by the river, and there was no doubt that it belonged to the natives. There were paddles in the boat, and I knew we’d have to take it, or else we’d never leave.
There was shouting. Paul and I turned around only to see the natives running at us, spears in hand. We turned back to the boat and untied it, placing it on the river and jumping in. We paddled as fast as we could, just about escaping unscathed. I’m not sure if they were going to chase us, but they definitely couldn’t chase us in a boat, because it looked like this was their only one.
Tangled vegetation hung above our heads as we drifted down the river. Paul suddenly gasped, and pulled his hands away from the edge. I looked at him weirdly, wondering what was wrong with him. I looked to where he was staring, and saw what had made him frightened. There was a crocodile in the water!
I began paddling again, wanting to get as far away from the crocodile as I could. We were racing down the river, and looked back to see if the crocodile was still there. The crocodile had turned around and was now swimming away.
We sighed in relief. Then we turned back around, only to see that there was a waterfall. We screamed and held on to the boat for dear life. We knew that this would be the end. We were getting closer and closer to the edge by the second.
I looked over at Paul and said, “I guess this is the end.”
“I have a confession.” said Paul.
“What is it?” I asked.
“I… I used your electric toothbrush to clean the toilet…” Paul exclaimed.
“What?” I asked.
“And the handles of the doors in your house.”
“I’m glad I got that off my chest before we reached our untimely end.”
As we plummeted down the waterfall I looked up towards the sun, thinking, ‘So this is the end?’ We closed our eyes tightly, and hoped for a painless end. I could feel the boat falling from the waterfall. I opened my eyes. The waterfall was only one metre tall.
I turned to Paul and hissed in a low voice, “You used my toothbrush to clean the toilet…”
He chuckled nervously, holding up his hands in front of him in a defensive manner, “Hey, I’m sorry.”
“Sorry doesn’t fix this!”
While they were arguing, they noticed a helicopter flying overhead. They jumped out of the boat and out of the river, running towards it while flailing their arms and shouting “Help!” over and over again.
The helicopter landed, and a tall woman got out. She ushered them on to the helicopter, and inside they saw someone tied up. It was Esteban!
The woman put her hand on Paul’s shoulder, and looking me in the eye, said seriously, “The man who brought you here is a dangerous criminal, but don’t worry, he can’t hurt you anymore.”
We were safe… for now.

6th class pupils Adam Johnston, Rachel Kelly, Natalie Moran, Simon Quinn, Shakira Ward and Shane Loftus. Newtown NS, Abbeyknockmoy Co Galway

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: